Sunday, September 21, 2014

My Tools and Materials

The Tools

Three months ago when I first got the idea of learning to sew, I got a little overwhelmed looking online at all the supplies I would "need" and just how much sewing machines really cost! Luckily, i'm pretty thrifty (or maybe Im just cheap) and got all I really needed for about $25!

  • Used Brother sewing machine $20
  • WalMart "fabric" scissors $2.47
  • Pins $2
That's it folks. These are my modest tools that make the magic happen! To any seasoned sewist I'm sure this looks rather silly and extremely meager... Believe me I would love to have fancy rotary cutters and maybe even a pin-cushion (lol!)  But to anybody who really wants to pick up sewing with very limited resources, these were all the tools I needed!
EDIT::  I forgot I also have a seam ripper. Very very handy! Im sure even experts have to use them once in a while! :-)



The Materials

I am much too frugal to buy fabrics from the fabric stores (even WalMart!).  So I make bi-weekly trips to a local Salvation Army with a spending limit of $15 which amounts to a BIG bag of interesting clothing of all types of fabrics to work with. I very rarely "plan" for what I'm looking for. I flip through as many sections as my babyboy will allow and buy whatever appeals to me at the moment. I do however, always buy a "crazy print" shirt if I can find one! You'd be surprised with the inspiration that can come just poking through donated rags! 


Sew cheap! :-P


Thank you so much for reading!



xoxo Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment