Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Olivia and Oliver Peacoat



Ohhh my goodness this little coat was so much FUN!!
I bought the pattern in preparation for Kid's Clothes Week and thought I'd test it out before I made it with the intended fabrics. So I used a heavy cotton long-sleeved Tshirt for the outer and a thin Norman Rockwell baby throw-blanket for the lining and I just fell in LOVE with it, the fit is amazing!!!


I kind of impressed myself. I must admit; it was my first time actually doing basting stitches (which I should have done on a few other garments before....) and button-holes. oh lordy button-holes!! How stressful they were! After practicing over and over on scrap fabric, I gave in and just sewed them by hand. I had hoped to use embroidery floss but I had none to match. All I had in navy blue was overlocking-machine thread, so it took me much longer than I had hoped. BUT once I ironed them they looked OK to me, but I'm sure not zooming in on them for you :-P

I did learn a good lesson in buttons though;
I only cut two buttonholes (out of four buttons) and left the other two buttons sewn on top of the outer layer and..........

THE BUTTONS SAGGED!

I was pretty upset I hadn't foreseen this happening. I did choose some pretty heavy, rounded buttons after-all. I knew I couldn't just leave them be, and accept defeat. So I rolled up a tinyyy bit of leftover tshirt and superglued it to the bottom-back of the buttons to kind of prop it up. It helped alot (you can see the difference in the top pictures of it hanging!) I'm wishing I had snapped a picture now, maybe I'll reenact it for you haha!

The topstitching was so satisfying. I really took my time with it, as I usually have a hard time with edge-stitching.



So if you're wanting to make a darling little coat for your wee-one, I'd say the Olivia and Oliver Peacoat is the way to go. It came together so nicely, even with my novice skills. And I can't wait to make one again for Kids Clothes Week!




Thank you for reading! <3 <3 <3




5 comments:

  1. This has to be one of the most darling little boy coats I've ever seen. I half expected Peter Rabbit and friends to peek out from around the corner. The baby boy model is absolutely adorable, and reminds me of little Lord Fauntleroy. All I can say is wow - this Mom sure knows how to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww shucks how sweet! thank you, and Love you Dad! ;-)

      Delete
  2. That lining rocks my world! Love IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks a bunch!! It was kinda hard cutting into that cute blankie but turned out totally worth it!

      Delete
  3. A beautifull coat you ' ve made!! I love to make one myself, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete